The Story

Asia Lab is Allianz’s dedicated advanced data analytics and innovation hub in Asia working to build the next business model for insurance. It is also a platform designed to connect innovative businesses and entrepreneurs with Allianz’s network of operating entities in Asia Pacific.

In view of this, Asia Lab were looking to revamp this platform to engage stakeholders to utilise and share their ideas.




The Problem

The current website has most of its functions in place but is still in need of a revamp as there is potentially a lot to be offered on the website. Its current functions serve as a purpose for users to pitch project ideas and obtain the community’s opinions but there is not much communication and involvement from the public.

The Solution

To revamp the product, enhancing its user interface and experience to facilitate project contributors and web viewers, allowing them to indulge in the design flow of the website via mobile and desktop. The user experience and content structure of the website were to be deconstructed, revised and reconstructed as to allow the website to realise its fullest potential.

The Process

Together with the stakeholders, we prioritised user experience as the core of the product would be on how internal staffs can contribute their ideas. Here’s a rundown of what we have done.

Key Objective

As stakeholders are primarily the target audience, we set off with an objective and identify our secondary target audience as well.


To promote its awareness of the newly launched online platform to its desired target audience, updating them of exciting technological feats that Allianz has to offer.

Target Audience

Primary: Allianz Employees

To promote the company’s latest technological-based platform within the inner circle, highlighting its involvement in the art of innovation.

Secondary: Allianz Clients/Potential Partners

To expose existing clients to what Allianz is doing in the technological scene and potential partners on the possibilities of partnerships.


Moving on, we went to research on existing websites that operate similarly as what we wanted to achieve. Websites such as Kickstarter, Indiegogo, OneMission Fund and OpenIDEO were the basis of the foundation. We also gained insights from internal stakeholders on how they would want the product to be like and this led to us crafting out personas that are based on the user background, environment and end goals.

Information Architecture

With Alex (Allianz employee) and David (partner) as our personas, we started developing user stories and user flows that revolve around the perceptions of Alex and David as they navigate throughout the product.

User Stories

Working with the stakeholders, who happened to be the users as well, we defined user stories together.

For example, the user journeys between the public user, partner and employee are defined differently. The public user is not able to view projects while the others have access to do so while partner users can create projects while the others are unable to.

User Flow

Concurrently, we switched our attention to the user flow of the product. As the key essence is to navigate the respective user from point A to the products section, we crafted this story map to cultivate and ideate the meaning behind this product.

Low Fidelity Prototyping

As we more or less defined the user flow, we developed the wireframes and started off by sketching some drafts to get feedback from stakeholders with a couple of iteration rounds before approaching high fidelity stage.

High Fidelity Prototyping

Even after moving on to high-fidelity wireframes, we continued the iteration process as stakeholders decided to remove certain elements. Nevertheless, we continued the refinements to achieve a mobile-ready product.

Usability Testing

Usability and penetration tests were conducted with stakeholders and external vendors respectively. From a user perspective, the goal was to further test and assess learning behaviours for feedback purposes.


One positive thing about working with stakeholders from the start of the project is that changes occurred at the start and because of this, the usability test was not much of an issue. Nevertheless, we continued to work with stakeholders to identify user behaviours and patterns.